David Herring writes:

> Good morning,
>
> Let me first start by praising the MySQL documentation. It is
> excellent - both in content and in it's indexed, linked, and
> searchable layout.
>
> On that later point, I would like to know how you acheived this ?
> What tool(s) was used to create the texinfo document, and which
> utilities are used to parse this for web contect, etc.

Hi,

Sorry for the late response.

The primary format of the manual is Texinfo. Most of us write the
texinfo in XEmacs with the aid of the 'Texinfo' xemacs mode (of course
some less fortunate developers use the lowly 'vi' ;-). You can find
out more about Texinfo here:

   http://www.gnu.org/directory/texinfo.html

So we have the manual in this format, and then when we publish the
MySQL.com website, we convert the manual to HTML with a perl script
called 'texi2html'. You can find this script in our Source Tarball:

   mysql-3.23.41/Docs/Support/texi2html

But to get the searchable manual that you know and love, there are a
few more steps. We use a couple of in-house programs written by Sasha
Pachev ([EMAIL PROTECTED]), that take this converted 'manual.html', and
rip it apart and store it into a MySQL database. The manual is stored
in the database according to texinfo node sections.

Once the manual is in the database, we can pretty much reconstitute
it into any organization that we want. For instance, this page:

   http://www.mysql.com/doc/

Never use to be such an extensive "Table of Contents", it used to only
contain the main chapter headings. But after some reconsideration, we
decided that it would be more useful to have a very extensive TOC
similiar to this one:

   http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/

Anyways, so we have a second program (the first one is called
'html2mysql', the second 'idxman'), that does this reconstitution that
you see at http://www.mysql.com/doc/ . 'idxman' also does all kinds of
black magic to hook-up the user comments with the appropriate manual
section.

I'm sure if you contact Mr. :) Sasha Pachev ([EMAIL PROTECTED]), he
could explain in more detail how both of his programs work. You could
probably also prod him into giving you copies, as he's been meaning to
release them publicly for some time now.

    Matt

--
For technical support contracts, visit https://order.mysql.com/