On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 02:00:29PM +0200, Kloppenburg Ernst (FV/FLI) *  wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 06:06:22 -0600, Benjamin David Hildred wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 11:08:47AM +0200, Ernst Kloppenburg wrote:
> > >   with DECIMAL the number of digits before and after the decimal
> > > point is fixed. Thus it should be described in the documentation as a
> > > fixed point number
> > the manual is correct. the number is stored internaly as a floating point number
>with all of its benifets and drawbacks. formating information is only used when the
>number is retrieved. if a number is stored in atable with more significant digets
>than the coulum will alow, and the table is later restructured to show aditional
>precision, the number will show mour preciosion. try it.
>
> Hello,
>
> did you maybe mix this up with "DOUBLE(M,D)"? DOUBLE is of course stored
> as a float and M and D control the display at retrieval of a number.
>
> For DECIMAL the manual says
>
>     the number is stored as a string, using one character for each
>     digit of the value. The decimal point and, for negative numbers,
>     the `-' sign, are not counted in M (but space for these are
>     reserved). If D is 0, values will have no decimal point or
>     fractional part. The maximum range of DECIMAL values is the same
>     as for DOUBLE, but the actual range for a given DECIMAL column may
>     be constrained by the choice of M and D.
>
> I still think this sounds like *storing* in a fixed point format.
>
> E. Kloppenburg

sorry about the misinormation, I was using a verry old manual. recent versions do have
a bcd number types. checking the most recent manual (online) in section 6.2.1: Numeric
Types, in paragraph two it says explecetly that they are not folating point. So what
was the complaint?

--
-----

DISCLAIMER: Anyone sending me unsolicited commercial electronic mail
automatically agrees to be held to the following legal terms:

US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer meets the
definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is
unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment. By
Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is punishable
by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500, whichever is greater,
for each violation.