Howdy all,

I have two tables as described further down below ...

I use the following query to get the data I need ...

sql = "SELECT tblTempConsolidation.*, tblCustomer.customerLibrary FROM
tblCustomer, tblTempConsolidation WHERE tblCustomer.customerId =
tblTempConsolidation.customerId AND tblTempConsolidation.customerId =" &
Cint(intCustomerId) & ";"

(I'm using VBScript)

I need to know how many records this SELECT returns to me. I am currently
doing this with a seperate SELECT COUNT(*) statement and it works fine,
however it would be nice to do the whole lot in one. The manual tells me I
can not mix GROUP and no GROUP columns without having a GROUP BY. From my
rather limited SQL knowledge, I suspect that I can not do this with the data
that I have..

Any suggestions? TIA.

#
# Table structure for table 'tblCustomer'
#

CREATE TABLE tblCustomer (
  customerId int(11) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0' auto_increment,
  customerName char(10) NOT NULL DEFAULT '' ,
  customerPW char(10) ,
  customerLibrary char(50) ,
  customerEmail char(50) ,
  interfaceTypeId int(11) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0' ,
  customerUSMARC tinyint(4) ,
  PRIMARY KEY (customerId),
  KEY customerName (customerName),
  KEY interfaceTypeId (interfaceTypeId)
);

#
# Table structure for table 'tblTempConsolidation'
#

CREATE TABLE tblTempConsolidation (
  sequence int(11) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0' auto_increment,
  customerId int(11) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0' ,
  020A char(10) NOT NULL DEFAULT '' ,
  orderPrice decimal(20,4) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0.0000' ,
  orderQty smallint(6) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0' ,
  orderSource tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0' ,
  245A char(50) ,
  100A char(50) ,
  260B char(50) NOT NULL DEFAULT '' ,
  GroupID int(11) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0' ,
  PRIMARY KEY (customerId,020A),
  KEY sequence (sequence),
  KEY customerId (customerId),
  KEY 020A (020A),
  KEY GroupID (GroupID)
);

Greg Lawrie

C i m t e c h
51 Byron Place
Adelaide  South Australia  5000
Phone +618 8212 8799  Fax +618 8212 8766
Email [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Computer Sales :: Network Design and Installation
Software Development :: Database Design

The information contained in this e-mail message may be
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient any use,
distribution, disclosure or copying of this information is
prohibited.  If you receive this e-mail in error, please tell us
by return e-mail or phone 08 8212 8799 and delete it and any attachments
from your system.