Hiya,

Yes, when you install from an rpm you just get the server, so you need to
download the client programs  binary in a seperate rpm and install them too.

Also, the rpm decides where to install everything so you don't actually end
up with a base install dir for MySQL. Your data directory should end up as
/var/lib/mysql

If all goes well then you should just be able to go

shell> mysql

and off you go : )

This worked fine for me on red hat 7.1

cheers,