Elizabeth,

Last conversation i recommended tools like ssh (you could also succesfully use stunnel
(http://www.stunnel.org), i tried and it works well).. but.. there is an easier way.
Guess that it depends on the mysql version your ISP is running, elsewise ask them to
upgrade.. Also make sure you have a recent libmysql dll/so.
Then use the function mysql_real_connect (see manual:
http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_Clients.html#mysql_real_connect
 ) :

  mysql_init(MyDB); //you must call mysql_init first
  mysql_real_connect(MyDB,PChar(your_isp), PChar(User), PChar(Passw), PChar(Database),
3306, nil, CLIENT_SSL);

This would, if available, use a SSL layer to connect to the MySQL server.

I'm not too sure since which version SSL is available, the changelog mentions you can
check for 'have_ssl' with "show variables" in version 3.23.30 so at least from this
version and up, but maybe functionality is there much longer. Also afaik the binary
rpm is compiled with ssl.
Also i'm not too sure what happens if ssl is not available (cannot test that now!),
maybe it just refuses to connect (desired behavior) or maybe it just connects w/o ssl,
i cannot tell.

hope this helps.

regards,

rene