So sprach »Neil Zanella« am 2001-08-27 um 16:50:11 -0230 :
> I would like to know some more details here. In particular:
>
> 1. What was the name of the first GPL file release of MySQL?

Is that some sort of trivia? :)

> 2. Which portions are not distributed by mysql.com as part of MySQL?

Don't know

> 3. Which portions of the Windows MySQL release
>    are not released under the GPL if any? For instance is the
>    windows installer program (is there one?) released under the GPL?

Don't know

> 4. Are the Linux versions shipped with Red Hat 7 and 7.1 entirely
>    distributed under the GPL?

Don't know, but I'd clearly think so.

> 5. Do PHP web applications that use PHP and MySQL require a MySQL license?
>    Such applications are not derivative works as they are merely interfaces.
>    Thus they do not require a license. Correct?

Yes.

IIRC, in the old days, you had to have a license if you wanted to make
some money with MySQL.  But since MySQL is now GPL, this isn't required
anymore.

IIRC, now you must get a license if you want to develop a program which
links to MySQL libraries and if this program of yours is not GPL.  So,
you can buy your way out of the GPL wrt. MySQL.

Alexander Skwar
--
How to quote:   http://learn.to/quote (german) http://quote.6x.to (english)
Homepage:       http://www.digitalprojects.com   |   http://www.iso-top.de