Neil Zanella writes:

> 1. What was the name of the first GPL file release of MySQL?

3.23.xx

> 2. Which portions are not distributed by mysql.com as part of MySQL?

All are.

> 3. Which portions of the Windows MySQL release
>    are not released under the GPL if any? For instance is the
>    windows installer program (is there one?) released under the GPL?

All stuff built by us is under GPL. Install program is not ours, it is
standard Windows program.

> 4. Are the Linux versions shipped with Red Hat 7 and 7.1 entirely
>    distributed under the GPL?

Yes.

> 5. Do PHP web applications that use PHP and MySQL require a MySQL license?
>    Such applications are not derivative works as they are merely interfaces.
>    Thus they do not require a license. Correct?

Only if you sell your PHP application to somebody, and that somebody
requires to install server. Otherwise, no licence.

>source code)
> The most ambiguous aspect of the GPL is that it does not seem to clearly
> specify what and what not comprises a derivative work. Does a web application
> which uses MySQL comprise a derivative work. I don't think so.
> Do such web applications have to be placed under the GPL.
> I don't see anything in the GPL that states this.
>
> Thanks for the clarification,
>
> Neil

If you use that PHP program for your site, there are no licences and
no need to publish anything.

--
Regards,