On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 11:39:22PM -0400, Gary Huntress wrote:

>     I run a mysql host that currently has about 5500 seperate mysql
> databases.   Yesterday one of my users reported to me that he couldn't
> connect.  I suspected many of the usual culprits (grants, network, wrong
> [snip]
> rule that out.   I'm also going to *assume* that he didn't "drop database
> mydatabase" for the moment.   Are there any other known issues that can
> cause something like this to happen?

I'd wonder who has access to this db besides your customer and you.
Has he given access to anyone else?  Has he fired anybody recently?
Have *you* fired anyone recently?

Are you *sure* your customers don't/can't interact with each other's
databases?

Has either you or your customer ever replicated/exported/backed up
this (and your other) db(s)?

Those are the things that would keep me up nights.  All the basics,
including "social engineering."

 [EMAIL PROTECTED] TopQuark Software & Serv. Contract programmer, server bum.