Yes.

A feature of MySQL is that it returns 1 for true and 0 for false.  When you
select ... you can put logic tests and sum up the number of true values.  In the
case of "bool_was_connected=0" will have a value of 1 when it is true and then
you sum up the results.

You could also do something like:
SUM( bool_was_connected IS NULL )
SUM( boul_was_connected IS NULL OR boul_was_connected=0 )
and do on.  Just put the condition you want to be true and count in the SUM().

b.

--
Bill Adams
TriQuint Semiconductor