Michael Rounds writes:

> The problem is, I am trying to setup phpmyadmin, which, when accessed,
> is unable to connect and gives a error of "MySQL said: Access denied for
> user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)"

Have you configured phpmyadmin? I recommend using the 'advanced'
authentication couple with some modifications to the phpmyadmin source.
Having a password in the config file is not a good thing unless you
can limit access to you and you only (e.g. by .htaccess or SSL with
client certificates), and the normal 'advanced' auth requires that
you give some user read access to the encrypted passwords, and those
should be easy enough to crack (56-bit DES I think. Correct me if I'm
wrong.)

> I am having issues with the access denied message as well as getting it
> to accept my hostname. My hostname is "crayon" but only will allow
> connecting to "localhost"

Carefully read the documentation on mysql's privilege system.
What's probably missing is access for [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(or simply @yourhost, since it's the transalted IP addy that's
being used. I don't know what happens in case of round-robin DNS
though.)

--
 Carl Troein - Círdan / Istari-PixelMagic - UIN 16353280
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://pixelmagic.dyndns.org/~cirdan/