"jason bailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> HI,
>
> I'm a new user to Linux and am interested in MySQL and PHP. I currently use
> both as a developer elsewhere and am now trying to set up a test server at
> home.
>
> I've searched the MYSQL lists and notice that alot of people are getting a
> similar problem as myself and I'm not sure if any have got this to work.
>
> I'm consistently getting the error (2002)
> : Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var..../mysql/mysql.sock' (111)
>
> I've read through the manual about problems starting a server but this has
> not helped and I've tried to follow help in the lists but again no result.
>
> I run mysql_install_db and get the messages about starting up
>
> I run safe_mysqld & and get something about starting and stopping
>
> I've found the the mysql.sock and it's in the location that the error
> mentions the location of the sock thing?? (It's late and I'm tired and a bit
> fed up -after being told to forget windows and go to Linux- I really wanted
> to agree but am now finding it hard too!)

You shouldn't have done "mysql_install_db" (which creates db files,
owned by root) and "safe_mysqld" (which will start the database as
user "mysql", who can't read or write to the necesarry files).

Do a "chown -R mysql.mysql /var/lib/mysql", then start the database
with "service mysqld start". If you had done this (or just selected it
to start in one of the runlevel managers, like ntsysv or tksysv), it
would have initialized the database automatically.

To make mysqld start on every boot, do "chkconfig mysqld start".

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.