Ed,

Thanks for the email. I was a bit tired last night and was a little frustrated (4
nights getting nowhere), so apologies if I was little rude (I've just reread my email)
and
sarcastic, but thanks for the 'Details' pun. I've dug myself into a hole offering to
set up a Linux/Apache Webserver for a friend. There's no rush but wanted to use it as a
learning experience and am getting problems with mysql- everything else seems ok.

jason bailey ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:

> I'm consistently getting the error (2002)
> : Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var..../mysql/mysql.sock' (111)

>>You mean "/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock"? Details are IMPORANT.

Yes, thanks for the pun. It was the above "/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock" and I noted that
deleting it and then running mysql_install_db  or possible safe_mysqld recreated.

> I've deleted it and running something above has brought it back again!- this
> is good I think

>>Bad idea.

Slightly sarcastic- sorry

> 1. Can i found out if the server is or is not running -which command and
> what am I looking for?

>>mysqladmin status

As I remember and I'm not sure I was going round in circles- this was a call giving
the error- I've just read somewhere to  check that this is installed, so will do that
tonight

> 2. Can I stop the mysql server

>>mysqladmin shutdown

Again an error on that one

> 3. Can I start it?

>>safe_mysqld&

Yep it does produces a lot of information and then ends (I think- you see I'm not sure)

>>Where is mysql.sock?  In /tmp?  If so:
>>ln -s /tmp/mysql.sock /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

mysql.sock  is in the directory that the error produces i.e.
/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

>>ln -s /tmp/mysql.sock /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
>>Should get you going.

This, in my ignorance, looks like a soft link to the mysql.sock in the
/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
location. The file(?) does exist and I'm not sure why a softlink will help unless it's
something to do with permissions.
Thanks for your suggestions I'll give them a try.

Regards
Jason

Dr Jason Bailey
Desktop Applications Consultant