Problem Type: multiple servers using different mysql.sock/socket file

Hello,

I'm attempting to run 3.23.41 on a box that uses 3.22.21.  Ultimately, the
3.23.41 version will replace the older version.  In the meantime, I want to
run them concurrently during the upgrade process.

How should I go about this?

I looked through the docs and thought I just needed to change my my.cnf file
(it's saved in my $MYSQL/data directory) with the entries below.  When I
tried this, however, I get an error telling me that I can't connect because
the default /tmp/mysql.sock file already exists.

[client]
port=51000
socket=/mysql/tmp/mysql_3.23.41.sock
[mysqld]