In the past few days 3 different people have asked me about "xml support" in
mysql.  I was unsure what to tell them actually, beyond saying "you can
easily export recordsets to xml documents".    Obviously you can store
entire XML documents in a TEXT field, but I'm not sure thats really the
functionality that they want.

Actually the observation made was that MySQL and PostgreSQL might be falling
behind the commercial databases in terms of native XML support.  Oracle,
MSSQL, and Sybase (probably DB2 as well since IBM is pretty big in the XML
arena) already have some type of support.

I think XPath support in Selects might be a good place to start.

So basically, is anything in the works for XML?

Regards,
Gary "SuperID" Huntress
FreeSQL.org offering free database hosting to developers
Visit http://www.freesql.org:27960 (AT&T is currently blocking 80 and 8080)