Gary Huntress wrote:

> In the past few days 3 different people have asked me about "xml support" in
> mysql.  I was unsure what to tell them actually, beyond saying "you can
> easily export recordsets to xml documents".    Obviously you can store
> entire XML documents in a TEXT field, but I'm not sure thats really the
> functionality that they want.

Ah! - buzywords, when you filter them out you are left with a markup,
data descritption and somewhere to keep it - and in many cases that will
be a RDBMS, although most people use one by default.

> Actually the observation made was that MySQL and PostgreSQL might be falling
> behind the commercial databases in terms of native XML support.  Oracle,
> MSSQL, and Sybase (probably DB2 as well since IBM is pretty big in the XML
> arena) already have some type of support.

Not falling behind, just less buzyword compliant.

To me XML and a DOM tree are not the same as relational data.  If your
data is not relational why use a RDBMS ?

> I think XPath support in Selects might be a good place to start.
>
> So basically, is anything in the works for XML?

No idea, but this was discussed on the list a few months ago - check the
archives as I think a few MySQL chipped in.

Sorry if this sounds a little negative and sarcastic, but I've delt with
a few projects where it got over complicated because of the use of
XML/XSLT, and managers whom want to use a product because its got nive
brochures and buzwords .....

Greg Cope