>I'm running OpenBSD 2.8 and MySQL 3.22.32 (recent cvs port).
>After time (< 1day) the cpu load for the mysqld process goes up to 98%..
>There is a known problem in 2.8 thread library. I do not know
>when will they fix it. You can ask them , though ..
>I've seen that this has been addressed in the FAQ, does anyone know if
>the fix for the pthread problem has been applied to 2.8-stable.  Is this
>the case?  Or am I wasting my time and should just upgrade to 2.9?

I'm using OpenBSD 2.9-stable port of mysql-3.23.41, and the problem is
still happening in the default install.

On a low-traffic server, it's not a problem.

But with LOTS of MySQL traffic  (20,000 unique users a day on a 100%
MySQL-driven website) - yes the mysqld process goes up to 99% and freezes
the server until I reboot.

I've tried the newest pth threads.  I've tried all optimizing both MySQL
install and the OpenBSD kernel.  No luck.  Still flies out of control.

I know it's not the hardware itself because I had this *exact same server*
running our website on Debian Linux, same amount of traffic, and it worked
fine.  No stress.   But as soon as I switched it to OpenBSD 2.9, MySQL
freaked out.

I'd *LOVE* if someone would ever solve this.  Hell - I'd *pay* for a solution!

But as of now, nope.  The MySQL / OpenBSD / pthread problem isn't fixed yet.

(My short-term solution was to move MySQL to its own dedicated server with
a 1.4 mHz processor, and 1 gig of RAM.  Even then MySQLd is still at 50%
CPU most of the time!  There's got to be something wrong here.... Even if
the problem is just my devotion to OpenBSD.)

If someone wants to use my high-traffic site as a guinea-pig, that's
fine.   Contact me at "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"