Hi Derek,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Derek Sivers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

<much cut>

> But with LOTS of MySQL traffic  (20,000 unique users a day on a 100%
> MySQL-driven website) - yes the mysqld process goes up to 99% and
freezes
> the server until I reboot.

Have you tried capturing information from ktrace or truss when this
happens?  Are there any locked or unusual queries running.  Maybe a
GDB backtrace would be useful?  On a busy server I know things like
this can be hard to get.  Can you repro the problem on a test server?

> I've tried the newest pth threads.  I've tried all optimizing both
MySQL
> install and the OpenBSD kernel.  No luck.  Still flies out of
control.

> I know it's not the hardware itself because I had this *exact same
server*
> running our website on Debian Linux, same amount of traffic, and it
worked
> fine.  No stress.   But as soon as I switched it to OpenBSD 2.9,
MySQL
> freaked out.
>
> I'd *LOVE* if someone would ever solve this.  Hell - I'd *pay* for a
solution!

Do you have a commercial support contract with MySQL AB?  I have found
them to be very helpful, however it may take a while to track down a
difficult/hard to find problem and if it is in the OS all they can do
is identify it for you then it would be up to you to bring it to the
attention of the OS programmers. (Sometimes they can find a work
around for a bug)

<rest cut>

I had problems at first with FreeBSD  and BSDi (the two platforms I
use) but they have a very aggressive support policy for paying
customers and Monty seems to be dedicated to make MySQL
available/proper on as many platforms as possible.  The MySQL Dev team
is really great but there is only so much work they can do for free!
(They have to eat too).  However with some patience and enough
information I am confident, either way you decide to go, that a
problem that reoccurs fairly frequently can be found and fixed.
Pthreads seems to be a difficult thing to work through. ( I am not a
threads programmer!).

Best of luck,
Ken