Configuration: multiboot system. C: is for DOS and System Commander, R: is for Win2K.
(Most) applications go on F:, (most) data goes on P:.

- I installed MySQL to F:\Development\Database\MySQL
- I edited my-example.cnf and added [mysqld]
basedir=F:/Development/Database/MySQL/
datadir=P:/MySQL/
then Save as to C:\my.cnf (do I *really* have to store this on a drive that's reserved
for DOS and multiboot?)
The installation created databases 'mysql' and 'test' on F: - I copied these to the
designated data location on P:.

- I ran winmysqladmin.exe, created an .ini file and designated mysqld-nt.exe as the
service, then tried to start it. The traffic light remains red. (The ini file is in
the Windows directory: R:\WIN2000\my.ini )
- Tried MySqlManager.exe which wants to connect to localhost - but can't connect.
- In the Services applet, mysqld-nt.exe is registered as a service, automatic, but not
started.
- After reboot, same situation: the service is automatic, but not started. Trying to
start results in an error.
- Removed the service with F:\Development\Database\MySQL\bin\mysqld-nt --remove
- Tried to start mysqld in debug mode with F:\Development\Database\MySQL\bin\mysqld
--debug --standalone
this results in an error:  "Can't initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not
set" and mysqld hung - I had to kill it from task manager.
- Tried to start mysqld (no debug) with F:\Development\Database\MySQL\bin\mysqld
--standalone
this results in the error - I had to kill it from task manager again.
(Note: while mysqld hangs, winmysqladmin.exe's traffic light in the system tray is
green, so it does detect if mysqld is running.)

Now what?

Thanks,

Marjolein Katsma
HomeSite Help - http://hshelp.com/