BW (ST) ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:

> I'm trying to use a socket besides the standard /tmp/mysql.sock one.  I've
> tried specifying socket=/path/to/socket in both [client] and [mysqld]
> sections of my.cnf, and I've tried to edit safe_mysqld directly with this
> path.  In all cases, the mysql server appears to start (no error messages
> are generated when I run S99mysql start, anyway), but I get the "ERROR 2002:
> Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)"
> message.
>
> I'm guessing that some other file is overwriting the my.cnf settings so that
> the server still expects connections to come through the /tmp/mysql.sock
> socket.  I can't, however, figure out which file that is/may be.

"No, Bob, that would be an incorrect guess." ;)

1. Is MySQL actually running?
2. If so, where is it putting mysql.sock?
3. If it's in /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock, the quick fix is to do "ln -s
/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock /tmp/mysql.sock".
4. Where is "my.cnf" located - you didn't say.
5. What application are you trying to run that gives the error - again, you didn't say.

I'm sorry I can't help you without you providing more specific information about your
problem.
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -  214/341-4420 - http://www.pobox.com/~erc

Squished Mosquito, Inc.
Internet Applications Development
Escapade Server-Side Scripting Language Development Team
http://www.squishedmosquito.com
Pensacola - Dallas - Dresden - London