Ed,

> 1. Is MySQL actually running?
Yes.

> 2. If so, where is it putting mysql.sock?
It is putting it into /raid/mysql/data/mysql41.sock -- I specified this
location in the socket variable(?) in both [client] and [mysqld] sections of
the my.cnf file.  my.cnf is located in /raid/mysql/data; there are no other
my.cnf files in the filesystem.

> 3. If it's in /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock, the quick fix is to do "ln -s
/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock /tmp/mysql.sock".
Actually, I want to specify the different location described in #2 in
preparation for my setting up 3.23.41 on a box where 3.22.21 is already
running.  Because the older version uses /tmp/mysql.sock, I don't have the
option of creating the symlink for 3.23.41.  I know that I can run configure
to set different socket and port locations, but I'd rather handle this
through my.cnf if at all possible.  I can get the port definition to work
via my.cnf, but the socket gives the mysql client fits.

> 4. Where is "my.cnf" located - you didn't say.
Again, /raid/mysql/data.

> 5. What application are you trying to run that gives the error - again,
you didn't say.
Just the command-line mysql client that is packaged with the binary.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Brian