I have never tested with your magnitude - no where near that.   You obviously
would have one maching connected to the master per sub-network-cluster. [thus
calling it tiered =].

I have tested over a network, using artificial packet destuction (for good
measure), from a Linux box, running the master, to another Linux box running
pptp, to a Win2k box (of course via pptp), with a slave server, then to one
more win2k box as a slave.   I had no trouble at all.   The one caveat that I
would mention is that I would occasionally have a bad sql statement, that was
painful.  I had to go from host to host doing "SET SQL_SLAVE_SKIP_COUNTER=n;
slave start" [http://www.mysql.com/doc/R/e/Replication_SQL.html]

That was painful.   Also, using concurrent inserts is unsupported, i.e.:

insert into table b select * from table A

-or-

create table dump as select important_data from table A

==

Alias locking is not quite the same either, and I use lots of that.

But, on a whole, my new setup will use replication, things that formerly used
concurrent selects will now be using a less elegant setup.

I have servers in 2 levels:

    master
slave1 slave2
(eventually I will have an online testing system that will plug in below
slave2.)

I use master for writes & reporting queries,
slave 1 for reads,
and slave 2 for alias locks.

In my pre-live testing scenario everything work pretty well.  + It keeps
everyone working well.

hope all this swallop helps.

js