Brian,

I assume you are using MyISAM tables. The reason
for your problem probably is that your computer
does not give the latin1 codes to the accent
characters you type in. For example, the DOS
prompt in Win NT gives them different codes from
latin1, and consequently a similar test fails on
my NT machine.

InnoDB tables currently order latin1 characters outside
the ranges a-z and A-Z according to their numerical
code. I will change it in .43 so that they are ordered
in the same way as in MyISAM. Ar least one problem still
remains after that: MyISAM identifies an u with two
dots on it with the letter y, but in Brazil, I have been
told, it should be the same as plain u.

Regards,

Heikki
http://www.innodb.com