Joshua,

I'm not really asking for a new feature.  I'm just trying to get the
accent insensitive search to work.  If you look at the 3.23 Change Log

http://www.mysql.com/doc/N/e/News-3.23.0.html

the ninth bullet says:

"Changed LIKE character comparison to behave as =; This means that
'e' LIKE ''e' (if the line doesn't display correctly, the latter 'e'
means a French 'e' with a dot above) is now true."

So, I'm still thinking my configuration is messed up or something.

Brian

>While I am not saying that a search feature should not be made for this, I
>will say that  'é' and 'e' have different values, and thus wouldn't match...
>Perhaps you could substitue a regular expression style search w/more
>intelligence in your code, for each case where you may want to see an
>accented character?

>On Monday 10 September 2001 01:00 pm, you wrote:
>>  Hello,
>>
>>  I'm still having problems with MySQL 3.23 being accent sensitive
>>  during searches.  However, I'm now tested to ensure I'm getting the
>>  correct accented search term to MySQL.
>>
>>  Here's my test page, which includes a small database of names with 2
>>  entries per name, one including an accented vowel.
>>
>>     http://www.sedl.org/accents.html
>>

>>  If you search for "Jose" (no accent on the e) you get Jose (no accent)
>>
>>  If you search for "José" (with accent on the é) you get José (with accent)
>>
>>  At first, I thought it might be a problem with MySQL not recieveing
>>  the accented value in the search term correctly, but that still
>>  doesn't answer why searching for "Jose" (no accent) doesn't act like
>>  a wildcard to pull up the record with the accented value as well as
>>  the unaccented value.
>>
>>  Brian

Brian Litke
Web Administrator
Southwest Educational Development Laboratory (SEDL)
(800 or 512) 476-6861 x-260
http://www.sedl.org/