Endre Stølsvik wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Arnulf Kristiansen wrote:
>

> | I have just started to look into the stored procedure issue. We will come up with a
> | definite plan within a short period of time.
>
> But does this mean that you won't welcome any other initiative or ideas
> from other programmers?

Absolutely not. All ideas and initiatives are welcome. I will however try to
coordinate efforts
as best i can.

> | It is true that there are solutions that would make transitions from another DBMS
>to MySQL
> | easier however, I am leaning towards the ANSI standard rather than PL/SQL or
>Transact-SQL.
> | If we still need to provide other languages or subsets of languages for
>compatibility and
> | easy transition, we might provide this later.
>
> Again, if two persons (groups) were working on this at the same time, then
> you could take ideas from both, ditch one of the implementations and use
> the other one's ideas in the remaining. Much faster development, and will
> problaby be better.

I don't disagree. Which ever way we go I think we will end up with quite a few
additions to make

it easier on people with one preference or another and to facilitate transitions to
MySQL. A lot

of fundamental stuff is going to be common to the different variants and I like to
concentrate
on something rather small for starters, keeping the larger objective in mind.

> | Widening the existing SQL functionality is most likely going to be the
> | first step.
>
> Why is this a first step? As I see it, SQL (as in the query language) is a
> rather different thing than an "scripting language" or similar (read
> "stored procedures").

This can be done relatively fast, but I agree it will is not the same thing.

/Arnulf