On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 02:17:51PM +0200, Sergei Golubchik wrote:
> On Sep 07, Doug Poland wrote:

> > > Yup. I've got the entire set of laws for the State of Texas online.
> > > My query time went down from 120 seconds to less than a second.
> > > So, yes, it's really worth it.
> > >
> > Do the current limitations of 500 characters per index and limited (?)
> > number of columns per index pose problems?
>
> Limited number of columns restriction applies to FULLTEXT indexes as well
> (I think).
>
> 500 char/index limitation does not .
>
> > I want to use fulltext
> > on a database with 7 varchar(255) columns and several smaller varchar
> > columns but can't build a fulltext index.
>
> What was your problem, exactly ?

Problems is knowning how many columns can be indexed in a table.
Is that number including non-FULLTEXT indexes as well?  Is the
500 char/index limitation a compile-time option?  I've got some
more questions about the behavoir of FULLTEXT but am leaving for
the weekend and will ask on Monday.  Thanks for your help so far!

--
Regards,
Doug