On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 02:11:20PM -0700, Jim Dickenson wrote:
> Does anyone have an opinion about the following? Are people using decimal
> type fields? Is it important for the database to allow only allowed data?

I use decimal datatype fields all the time for my monetary amounts.  I've
always treated them as behaving the way you suggest they should behave, i.e.
no extra digit space is provided by using the sign location.  That MySQL
behaves otherwise seems a bit counter-intuitive.  I design my tables and
software to treat it otherwise and also to never expect the database to
provide the limits.  My software insures the limits are never reached.

--
    ..chris