(to answer a couple of posts at once):

Our machine was seeing less than 20 connects / sec.  The problems
continued after we broke largeish (although only about 350,000 records,
indexed) tables into smaller ones and verified/optimized all code that
makes mysql queries.  We have a good mix of selects, inserts, updates
but as I said, not more than 20/sec and often quite a bit less.  On a
dual PIII 1Ghz with 1Gb of RAM...

We use ISAM and MyISAM tables exclusively.  The largest table has less
than 400,000 rows, the hardest hit (lots of tiny select statements, 3 or
4 per sec) has maybe 1000 rows.

The queried tables make use of indices.

The exact same configuration with the exact same number of requests,
etc, ran perfectly on a RH6.2 box, 800Mhz (single processor), 256 Mb
RAM, using MySQL 3.23.32.  We only very recently upgraded and haven't
changed code that calls the database or number of requests, or any other
external factor except hardware and upgraded to mysql 3.23.41 about a
month later.

Thanks for all the dialogue on this.
jenn