>> There are some others with a similar problem(including me).
>
>Hi guys. I'd be really interested in knowing things like how many
requests, and of what type, are being made of >your database(s). If
you're making a couple of dozen SELECTs per day, then I'd say that you
have a problem, but >if you're doing 500,000,000 INSERTs and 1 Bil.
SELECTs, then I could see some call for your systems to slow >>>  >down.

Here are my relevant data:
Hardware: DualPentium 1GHz with 2GB RAM and a RAID5 HD-Array
MySQL: 3.23.37
average of 20 queries/second peak about 40 or 50
Only small tables with a few thousand entries per table
now the special:
  there is a merge table that merges 10 other tables
  sometimes i access the MyISAM tables, sometime the mergetable
  about 90% read operations.

Sometimes 2-3 times per day the load average raises above 50 in a few
seconds and fall back (a bit slower) below 1. During the time of the
high LoadAverage i get "too many connections" errors. It's not traffic
depended (well of course it's more often at high traffic times, but
it occured in low traffic times, too) as far as i can see.
My suspicion is that something is wrong with the mergetable...
I set the "log-slow-queries" and after the describes behavior i can only
find queries which accessing the merge table in the slow.log.