Phillip Spademan writes:

> I am runnin' a mysql DB with about 90mil entries. on a 1Ghz system with 1G
> ram, it takes forever to get anything out, i have even tryed selecting the
> data into a file.  Is there any tricks/tips anyone can give me for managing
> large DB's?

Spend some time on rethinking your database design and your queries.

> It also likes to crash tables every month or so to =)

I can't see why this would be a good thing, and as you don't
say why I can't tell you what to do about it either. If you're
using kill -9 on mysqld, stop it. If you're doing things to the
table files while mysqld is running, don't.

> I was reading in the manual that u could up some of the cache sizes,
> /usr/local/mysql/bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql -O key_buffer=64M -O
> table_cache=256 \
> -O sort_buffer=4M -O record_buffer=1M &

Of course, otherwise there'd me no point in having them.
If you have a gigabyte of RAM I see no point in not
letting mysqld use at least a few hundred megabytes or
so just for buffers.

//C

--
 Carl Troein - Círdan / Istari-PixelMagic - UIN 16353280
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://pixelmagic.dyndns.org/~cirdan/