.
Dear List-Members,

As I am EXTREMELY new to mysql and my connection to my ISP is a
pay-per-minute one, doing the endless testing (koff, kofff.... Ok, farffing
around, getting lost, tired and emotional) with mysql can cost some dosh
over time.  I've only recently arrived at this work-station machine and
found that the previous operator has Microsoft's Personal Web Server and
mysql on it.  She doesn't seem to have *done* anything with them, but
recent magazine articles on mysql have whetted my interest.
So.....
Is there a step-by-step guide to installing/linking mysql - or whatever it
is I have to do - onto the PWS to allow me to experiment locally?  I date
from the days of CP/M and DOS 3.2 and command lines, but have no experience
of Linux/Unix.  On the strength of various recommendations I read, I bought
Mr duBois' book; I commend its jargon-free approach but it doesn't seem to
mention PWS.

After reading bits of http://www.mysql.com/articles/ddws/3.html I looked in
my c:\mysql\bin and there are an *awful* lot of .exe files.  When I go to
my hosting site http://www.pay-as-you-host.com/help/howto/sql  and load the
tbl_FILENAMES.php files I've ftp-ed up to it from this machine, mysql seems
to run all right - it certainly invites me to try all things.

As there are three hard discs on this machine, "Be there dragons?" on
operating across them - there seem to be some fairly heavy warnings
everywhere on running mysql from anything other than its installed c:\ drive.

Round about here is where I run out of intelligent questions (that is, if
the above were intelligent....).

In the usual way of things, after a couple of weeks' use and experimenting,
I expect I'll cringe at the naive content of this message.

Yooooors,

Iain Lang.
       To Keep Well,
    You Must Sleep Well!