I'm not up on expect, but I would assume that since you can use sh then you
should ber able to use expect.

Generally speaking in sh you can do the following:

#!/bin/sh

MYSQLCMD="/usr/local/bin./mysql"
USER="me'
HOST="some.host.com"
PASSWD="whatever"
QUERY="SELECT userId FROM thisTable WHERE id="1"
RESULT='${MYSQLCMD} -h ${HOST}-u ${USERID} -p${PASSWD} -e "${QUERY}" -s
thisDB'

echo ${RESULT}

Let me know if you can get expect to work in sh's place...

Cheers,
m!