Alex,

at the maximum it has to scan the whole size of its log
files. In the 'applying log records to the database'
phase it may take a long time because of disk i/o.

Thus, it is really not possible to know the remaining
time precisely since the amount of disk i/o may vary
in different phases of the log scan.

But by following the log sequence numbers (they are really
bytes) you get some estimate of how long it might take.

Is there a lot of disk i/o?

I guess it is always advisable to shut down the database
first and only after that to reboot the OS. We do not
know what quirks may happen at the OS shutdown. If you
are in hurry, then simply killing the database server
process may be more reliable than leaving it to the
operating system.

Regards,

Heikki
http://www.innodb.com