Hi.

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 11:52:21AM +0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I have a batch file called mysql.txt containing the single line,
>
> select "test \n test";
>
> My command for running this file is:
>
> mysql -N -B stud < mysql.txt > out.txt
>
> After running the command, out.txt contains "test \n test" -- with the
> "\n" appearing literally, instead of a newline character. In other
> words, it's the output I'd expect from

shell> mysql --help
[...]
  -B, --batch           Print results with a tab as separator, each row on
                        a new line. Doesn't use history file.
[...]

This means, because a newline will indicate a new record, new lines
have to be escaped. Else, you couldn't reasonably distinguish what's
content and what's record seperator.

Example:

shell> mysql -B -N yasg -e "select 'test\ntest'"
test\ntest
shell> mysql -t -N yasg -e "select 'test\ntest'"
| test
test |

Bye,

        Benjamin.