Hi.

On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 11:26:30AM +0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > It may not intuitive at first, but it is really what one
> > wants for default. For example, how would you else know, whether
> >
> > test
> > asdf
> >
> > was originally one row ("test\nasdf") or two rows ("test"+"asdf")?
>
> I would know because I'm the one who thought up and wrote -- for good
> reasons -- the select "test\nasdf" query.

I presumed that. You wouldn't ask for it, if you couldn't use it.
Therefore, of course, I meant the general case.

> The principle is: commands should work consistently. Computers
> should give you what you ask for.

"batch mode" doesn't necessarily mean "raw mode". You want to ask for
"raw mode", but ask for "batch mode".

> mySQL should not make exceptions
> of special cases on the assumption that the user will be confused.

But doing it this way would render the output completely useless for
all uses, except for your special case.

Additionally, as I have shown, there is an simple way from the current
output to the special case, but not the other way around.

And please note, that not "MySQL", but only the mysql command line
client chooses to do this escaping.

I agree, that one could argue, that the mysql command line client
should offer an option to output raw data, too.

Bye,

        Benjamin.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]