Hi!

The log sequence number is only 300 000 bytes :).
You have data and log files which are almost completely
full of zeros, and consequently if you compress them
with gzip, you are able to send them to me as attachments.

Some notes on possible Linux bugs:

I notice that you are running the Linux kernel 2.2.14.
MySQL AB people recently sent the following advisory
which is now also in the manual:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/B/i/Binary_notes-Linux.html
WARNING: We have have reports from some MySQL users that they have got
serious stability problems with MySQL with Linux kernel 2.2.14. If you are
using this kernel you should upgrade to 2.2.19 (or newer) or to a 2.4
kernel. If you have a multi-cpu box, then you should seriously consider
using 2.4 as this will give you a significant speed boost.

My development platform is a 2-way Xeon with
Linux 2.4.4-64GB-SMP i686. I have not seen any strange
thread crashes or database page corruption in it.

In a 2-way Red Hat 6.2 box with software RAID I got both
file corruption and thread crashes in my tests. InnoDB
calls often fsync and has more threads than MyISAM. That
may make it more susceptible to kernel bugs.

You could also try downloading a binary from the MySQL
site www.mysql.com. Monty tries to compile them in the
best way to keep Linux bugs at bay.

Regards,

Heikki

At 02:21 PM 10/2/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Heikki,
>
>Update on this. Managed to get this to happen with the file updates you
>sent, on an internal box(same config as original problem rpt), log info
>follows:
>
>//Log file starts----------------------------------------
>011002 13:28:19  mysqld started
>InnoDB: Database was not shut down normally.
>InnoDB: Starting recovery from log files...
>InnoDB: Starting log scan based on checkpoint at
>InnoDB: log sequence number 0 293003
>mysqld got signal 11;
>This could be because you hit a bug. It is also possible that this binary
>or one of the libraries it was linked agaist is corrupt, improperly built,
>or misconfigured. This error can also be caused by malfunctioning hardware.
>We will try our best to scrape up some info that will hopefully help diagnose
>the problem, but since we have already crashed, something is definitely wrong
>and this may fail
>
>key_buffer_size=314568704
>record_buffer=16773120
>sort_buffer=67108856
>max_used_connections=0
>max_connections=100
>threads_connected=0
>It is possible that mysqld could use up to
>key_buffer_size + (record_buffer + sort_buffer)*max_connections = 110187 K
>bytes of memory
>Hope that's ok, if not, decrease some variables in the equation
>
>Attempting backtrace. You can use the following information to find out
>where mysqld died. If you see no messages after this, something went
>terribly wrong...
>Bogus stack limit or frame pointer, fp=0xbfffd830, stack_bottom=0x49d856f0,
thread_stack=131072, aborting backtrace.