On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 09:31:26AM -0600, Adam Douglas wrote:

> 1. Number of Database Administrators/Developers to support MySQL and overall
> number of employees in the company.

Hmm.

We have no full-time MySQL DBAs.  You don't need one!  We have several
developers who spend a small amount of their time dealing with MySQL.
Our company has something like 2,500 employees (ball-park figure).

> 2. Size of database (HD space consumption & # of records).

Across the whole company, we probably have a few hundred gigabytes in
MySQL.  Maybe more.  Maybe less.  Nobody really keeps track, but
that's probably a reasonable guess.

> 3. Can MySQL Replication be down going two ways (ex. A -> B and B -> A).

It can be if you're careful.  It might get easier if MySQL implements
a feature I requested at the Open Source Database Summit.

> 4. If you switched from a major commercial database (Oracle, Sybase, MS SQL
> Server, etc.) to MySQL, why? How did the change affect the number of people
> working as Database Administrators (increase, decrease, no effect)?

Doesn't apply, really.  But if we do switch things from Oracle (the
commercial RDBMS we use), I'm certain that it'd be a decrease in admin
effort.

> 5. Any repercussion since charging over to MySQL?

n/a

> 6. What operating system is MySQL running on?

FreeBSD and Linux

> 7. What's the main operating system for your servers and company as a whole?

FreeBSD

> 8. What user end front end/tools are used?

Usually custom developed web-based tools.

> 9. What development tools are used to create reports, forms, queries,
> scripts?

Perl/C/C++/Python

> 10. How advanced are your forms? What tools did you use to create them?

Many are rather simple.  Some are complex.  Most are built by hand in
whatever programming language (plus HTML).

> 11. Does MySQL support OLAP (online analytical processing) or similar form
> of this technology?

OLAP is pretty broad in scope.  What, specifically, are you looking for?

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance

MySQL 3.23.41-max: up 27 days, processed 543,390,065 queries (232/sec. avg)