From: Carl Troein [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2001 3:37 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: My attitude (Was:Migration to mysql from MS SQL Server)

Ravi Raman writes:

> Hi.
>
> I got the impression "Harpreet" was looking for some advice/experiences
from
> someone who had ported a database in this way. He most likely was not
> looking for a snide, essentially one-word reply.

Well, I could've said that I've done similar things for 2 different
mysql databases, but I didn't consider this piece of information
very useful. As far as I could tell the question was 'is it possible
to use mysql and mssql funtions in the same php script', and to that
question the answer is yes. As far as I'm aware there aren't any
particular problems associated with this, but as usual when you
populate a datebase you'll have to think about what order you
do it in and decide whether to reuse id values from your old
database or have new ones created (by auto_increment in the case
of mysql).

> I have been on this list for a while, and have seen both your helpful
posts
> and your condescending and sarcastic posts. Ideally, I would say something
> here that would cause you to continue to answer the volume of questions
you
> do, but also cause you to lose the attitude.

It's really not much of an attitude, it's mostly the way I phrase
things that sometimes make them sound more sarcastic than I intend
them to be. But sure, I do get annoyed sometimes, especially
since I _do_ take the time to answer questions that were posted
by someone who didn't first bother to read the manual section
about the very thing the question was about. (I'm not referring
to this particular mail, but it does happen that people ask
things like 'what's the syntax for ...'). Still, I can't think
of a single time that I have told someone to go read the manual
without providing a URL to the appropriate section.

> That's probably not possible, so I guess I'll set up that mail filter now.

I can't stop you, and you probably will be better off since
I'm not contributing much to what little actual discussion
there is on this list. Most of the mail here seem to be
questions from new users and replies to those question,
and I guess there's nothing wrong with that, although
it would be more fun if there were more questions from people
with more experience of mysql. Also, I'd enjoy this list
more if there were a filter on the server to keep people
with too badly set date/time from posting. I had to click
through 25 pages to find the mails from the guy with his
date set to last year's the other day, and then I had to
do it again the next time he sent a mail even though I
had mailed him to _politely_ point out that his date was
wrong.

Anyway, if there is some sort of consensus here that I
should leave (or be nice to people), I might consider
doing so (or possibly so, but that's a lot less
complicated).

//C - Never loses his patience, but sometimes his sanity

--
 Carl Troein - Círdan / Istari-PixelMagic - UIN 16353280
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://pixelmagic.dyndns.org/~cirdan/