Daniel Ouellet writes:
 > Hi,

Hi Daniel,

 > I am looking into using optimization of the GCC 2.95.3 for I686 as
 >
 > -O3 -mpentiumpro
 >
 > to compile an optimize version of MySQL.
 >
 > But as I look around, I see that some user warned about using this as they
 > said there is bug in GCC for I686 optimization.
 >
 > Any information you can pass to me on that? Is it still true for the 2.95.3.
 > I know that the 2.95.2 had issues, but I want to check for the this.

We've been using -O3 -mpentiumpro for Pentium processors for a long
time and have seen no problems with it. It should be safe on 2.95.2
and 2.95.3.

 > Also, as I am on the subject, what about using the GCC 3.01. Any better with
 > good result so far.

GCC 3.x has been working also without problems, but we don't have that
much experience of it yet. Currently we are using 2.95.3 for most things.

 > Any one?
 >
 > Thanks
 >
 > Daniel

Regards,

- Jani

Ps. Why are you compiling MySQL on your own (just curious) ? If you
are only looking for optimization, I would strongly recommend you to
download one of our binaries, because they are very highly optimized,
and the risk of getting an unfunctioning binary (in high loads for
example) is low. If you need to compile one by yourself, please check
the MySQL manual for hints about compiling options for your platform.

For technical support contracts, visit https://order.mysql.com/
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Mr. Jani Tolonen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
/_/  /_/\_, /___/\___\_\___/   Helsinki, Finland
       <___/   www.mysql.com