At present, I seem to be running out of time and through my research have
come up with the following:
    - High bus speed.  When you have 2GB of ram or something (needed with
PGSQL, smart with MySQL), bus speed becomes the bottleneck.  Any good
processor out there (AMD is new to the SMP market, but supposedly quite
stable... and fast... considering DDR RAM and high bus speeds, Intel is
proven- though P4's are still considered unstable for running a database
server.  As well, P3's ABOVE 1GHz ARE NOT GOOD FOR DATABASE SERVERS.  Go
with maybe a P3-866 or P3-900.) should do the trick.  SMP will be useful as
long as the OS uses it (Linux is a good choice).  Web servers will be the
least of your worries.  The database server will have no user accounts and
you will probably comment out the whole inetd.conf file, and shut down each
and every daemon.  You would have an SSH server and the database ports open-
so keeping really ahead of security is no biggy.  Probably a good firewall
rule to block all but internal machines would be useful too.
    The databases tend to use a lot more load than the webserver.  You
should be okay with something simple for that.  PGSQL loads the whole DB
into Shared RAM if possible, so get lots if you use PGSQL, and it makes
MySQL faster, so do it with mysql.  A disk good enough to sync regularly is
helpful.  You assume speed on most wouldn't make a diff, except for loading.
Databases will be loaded on startup, rather than constant disk activity like
on the web server.  So you should be okay with a reasonable HDD.

Good Luck!
--
Mike