Are you sure MySQL is listening on port 80?  The default port is 3306:

jdbc:mysql://192.168.1.2:3306/<database>

-----Original Message-----
From: Benj Arriola [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2001 10:56 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: JSP newbie needs to run MySQL-JDBC.

Hello Everyone,

I need to run MySQL using JSP.

I am a JSP newbie, actually a Java newbie too. I am more of a PHP/MySQL
guy.

I have successfully installed Allaire JRun 3.0 on Win98 using PWS.

JRun has an application management console and I cannot seem to run
MySQL.

I am totally unfamiliar with how JRun, JDBC and MM.MySQL runs and the
error message I get is:

        The following error occurred while testing the data source
connection
        Communication link failure: java.io.EOFException

I will enumerate everything I have done to see where I have gone wrong:

1. I am on a LAN and my IP address is 192.186.0.2. So on PWS, my
localhost is basically 192.168.0.2. Everything is working fine with PWS
and could use it with PHP and MySQL, thus I know MySQL is working fine
too.

2. I installed Allaire JRun and everything is working fine with regards
to running JSP pages.

3. I have read in the book, core JSP, that there are some JSP engines
that doesn't use the classpath and uses it's own classpath, thus I added
this on the Java Settings of the Default Server under Classpath. Prior
to this, copied the org directory of the extracted files in
mm.mysql-2.0.6.1.jar..jar to c:\progra~1\mm.sql in the Windows 98
directory structure. So my classpaths in JRun looks like this:

    {jrun.rootdir}/servers/lib
    {jrun.server.rootdir}/lib
    {jrun.rootdir}/../../mm.mysql

Where all Jrun files are at c:\progra~1\allaire\jrun

I got mm.mysql-2.0.6.1.jar..jar from SourceForge.com as my MySQL JDBC
driver.

4. After doing this, I went to the JDBC Data Sources of the Default
Server of JRun Application Management Console. And I added a new entry
with the following:

    Name: MySQL
    Display Name: MySQL
    Driver: org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver
    Pooling: Yes
    Timeout: 30 Minutes
    Interval: 30 Seconds
    Username: root
    Password: axnolnms
    Vendor Argument: <blank, I placed nothing.>

Btw, before doing this, I already created a database named studiosusa
and the username and password to my MySQL is root and axnolnms.

5. I started running the MySQL engine whose version is 3.22.21.

6. I clicked on the "Test" button on Allaire JRun's JDBC settings and
that's when I got the error:

        The following error occurred while testing the data source
connection
        Communication link failure: java.io.EOFException

Now, where did I go wrong? And how do I run MySQL on the JSP engine
Allaire JRun 3.0?

I don't know if this is a MM.MySQL problem.

Benj Arriola
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
+63 (917)-831-8345

Action Online Co. Ltd.