Hello -

You may wish to try something a little bit more fundamental if you are new
to the Java thing.
one good way to learn how everything works in JSP is to use a free Java
Server, such as Tomcat, and build pages using Macromedia's ultradev
software. There is an extension that installs JDBC-ODBC connectivity through
ultradev. Follow the instructions for installing Tomcat, Ultradev, and the
extension and then it is relatively easy to make a connection to a database
with JSP code (in fact, Ultradev makes it similar to other models, such as
ASP, CFML and PHP (via the phAKT extension). Once you create a connection,
you can dissect the code and correspond the lines of code to how it makes a
database connection (in fact, I use it to cross compare making a database
connection through mySQL-PHP, mySQL-ASP, and mySQL-CFML as well)...they all
essentially do the same fundamental tasks with very similar looking lines of
code..

I realize you installed JRun, but from personal experience, its not that
easy (its doable, but you might want to learn from something that you
recognize, i.e from your PHP background)

hope that helps...

Edward Apostol
developer, instructor - E-Commerce, New Media & Wireless
@ Ryerson University
Toronto, ON Canada
---
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]