> As subject what do I do if I want a field called (for example)
> Competition ID?
>
> I have looked (http://www.mysql.com/doc/C/R/CREATE_TABLE.html) but to no
> avail.

Section 6.1.2 is probably closer to what you need.

> I have tried enclosing it in "quotes" and 'single quotes' but neither
> work.  Can this be done?

Try using backticks (`) instead. AFAICT, this should
work with MySQL. Using such a naming strategy will
also have the added advantage of making your application
almost impossible to port in the future...

/ Carsten
--
Carsten H. Pedersen
keeper and maintainer of the bitbybit.dk MySQL FAQ