I'm trying to configure MySQL to run on my Mandrake 8.1 box. The Linux
install automatically installed MySQL, albeit in some pretty strange
places, but it's there and running upon startup. I would like to modify
it so that it is not running as 'root' though on startup. I've read a
lot of the documentation and from what I can tell it is being started
via the /etc/init.d/mysql script (which looks exactly the same as the
mysql.server script) but I cannot locate the my.cnf file that the docs
talk about. Can I just create this file from scratch to start MySQL as a
different user, or do I have to change the mysql startup script in
/etc/init.d/ to use a my.cnf file?

brent.