I'm up to over 10000 databases in one data directory and that is becoming a
performance problem as users make their connections.  I would like to begin
running multiple servers on the same box.    I made my first attempt tonight
and was confused.   Before I screw up a production box perhaps someone can
tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I always start my server with this script:

safe_mysqld --log  --datadir=/mnt/db -O wait_timeout=1000 -O
max_connections=1000 &

I still have an old data directory in /usr/local/mysql/var  so I thought I
could just change the pid, socket, and data directory via:

safe_mysqld   --pid-file=/usr/local/mysql/var/kettlebrook.pid --socket=/tmp/
mysql3307.sock --port=3307 --datadir=/usr/local/mysql/var -O
wait_timeout=1000 -O max_connections=1000 &

to run it on port 3307.

The primary server starts fine.   When I run the second one, I have gotten
address already in use errors ("is there already a server running?" or
something to that effect)  I thought I had successfully created a second
*independent* server that nobody else should be using so I did:

mysql -pmypassword -P3307

connected ok , and did a processlist.  It showed numerous web connections,
and it apppeared that I was connected to my production server on 3306 rather
than 3307.

Then, I issued "mysqladmin -pmypassword -P3307 shutdown" hoping to shut down
the second test server.  It shut down the main server on 3306, as evidenced
by my webserver indicating connection problems.  I was able to repeat this
several times.

My question is basically this....did I somehow (probably in my first lame
attempts) get some of my socket files mixed up and/or pid files and they
were simply out of sync with the proper server?    2)  Should I be able to
properly control two servers using the two safe_mysqld command lines above?

Regards,
Gary "SuperID" Huntress
FreeSQL.org offering free database hosting to developers
Visit http://www.freesql.org

P.S. Version is 3.23.37