Robert --

Just in case what Quentin and Rick said isn't clear, the MySQL
DLLs/libraries are linkable and usable from Delphi/KYLIX. Quentin's note
gives a good hint about one way to do it. I seem to recall from my last job
that there are people around using Delphi as a front end to MySQL, so you
shouldn't be alone if you do go that route.

BTW, there are open source solutions for the user-interface which don't
require the web browser. I've heard people mention GTK in this context.
There was even a book (about building user interfaces for MySQL with GTK+)
mentioned on this list in the last several days (by the publisher, looking
for more reviewers, and I thought about volunteering for the free book).

But I think using Delphi should be straightforward enough to get you started
with MySQL.

Joel Rees
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Robert A. Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have been looking at MySQL with the assumption that I could move up to
> an enterprise level database from a desktop database without the
> prodigious cost normally incurred. I usually work for small business's
> and my choice of database has been Paradox. I have been using Delphi as
> a front end tool

[snipped]