> If you look at the documentation for UPDATE, you'll
> find no mention of multi-table updates, and so they don't
> exist. If you search the docs you'll find that they are to
> be added in 4.1.

> The FAQ clearly states that multi-table updates and deletes
> do not exist at this point in time. And imagine how much less
> traffic there'd be on this list if everyone read the FAQ
> before posting.
>
> //C - amazed that the some questions pop up almost every week.
>
> --
>  Carl Troein - Círdan / Istari-PixelMagic - UIN 16353280

Carl, I appreciate your response, but I did check both the table of
contents and the index. I did not do a string search on "update," if
that's what you had in mind.

Since you're "amazed that the same questions pop up almost every week,"
maybe I can return the favor and help you too. The explanation is quite
simple.

Multi-table updates and deletes are such fundamental features of SQL
that it doesn't occur to new users like me that it could be unsupported.
Maybe we're all foolish and lazy, but maybe also it'd be smarter if the
relevant doc section mentioned the lack of support.