On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 12:46:33AM +0100, Carsten H. Pedersen wrote:

> > + your datafile will be smaller which saves disk IO. In the end, the extra
> > cost of the less efficient index as less than the gain from the faster
> > access. So in the end you win speed.
>
> huh?
>
> With a variable record length, there's a lot of searching to
> get the position of the individual record. With a set size,
> the file handler knows exactly where record n is stored in
> the file. This has nothing to do with file size -- disks
> are random access devices.
>
> > But, it is all explaind in the manual :)
>
> Exactly where in the manual did you find that piece of information?

found another little note:

  6.5.3.1 Silent Column Specification Changes
<...>
    * If any column in a table has a variable length, the entire row is
       variable-length as a result. Therefore, if a table contains any
       variable-length columns (VARCHAR, TEXT, or BLOB), all CHAR columns
       longer than three characters are changed to VARCHAR columns. This
       doesn't affect how you use the columns in any way; in MySQL, VARCHAR
       is just a different way to store characters. MySQL performs this
       conversion because it saves space and makes table operations faster.
       See section 7 MySQL Table Types.

Still not the advise as I rememberd it. Probably reed it on this list....

                                           nieuw.nl - 2dehands.nl: 14531