On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 01:24:57AM +0100, Carsten H. Pedersen wrote:

> > > Exactly where in the manual did you find that piece of information?
> >
> > 5.4.2 Get Your Data as Small as Possible
> >
> > But i read the advise literally somewhere. I'm searching......
> >

> Good luck :-)
>
> Look at it this way: On a table with som 10-12 million rows of
> 24 bytes per record, the speed went up about 200% after I changed
> the format from VARCHAR to CHAR.
>
> And...
>
> If VARCHAR saves you *both* speed and space why in the world
> would someone offer us the ability to *not* use varchar? :-)

It won`t alway give you better performance. But take a table like this:
(id int unsigned auto_increment,
 emailadress char(255)
)

Suppose the average emailadress is 30 characters. If you have more than a
trivial amount of entrys you are wasting a lot of space. Space which all
has to be cached bij your OS. Space you will all have to read from disk if
you do a like search or cannot use an index or whatever.

                                           nieuw.nl - 2dehands.nl: 14532