Hi Shelby,

You wrote:
> I would just want to be a contributor.

Excellent!
You, and anyone else, can be a contributor to MySQL development.

There is some special info in the manual about this:
  http://www.mysql.com/doc/M/y/MySQL_internals.html
See also
  http://www.mysql.com/doc/I/n/Installing_source_tree.html

We frequently receive very good code patches, and as the users know
these are much appreciated.
We also get other useful feedback such as issues for the manual.
You may find a list of some of the contributors in the past at
http://www.mysql.com/doc/C/o/Contributors.html

With regard to the copyright and licensing of MySQL, you can find more
information here:
  http://www.mysql.com/doc/C/o/Copyright.html
Amongst other things, it is important to note that the manual is not
distributed under GPL.

We look forward to seeing your contributions!

Regards,
Arjen.

--
MySQL Training Worldwide, http://www.mysql.com/training/