> From: Demirchyan Oganes
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a question with regards to the InnoDB data files.
> I have the following in my.ini file.
>
> innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:200M
> innodb_data_home_dir = c:/innodb_data
>
> I just want to know the following.  Does it mean that I have
> 200Mb allocated space to store all the InnoDB data in? What
> happens if I exceed 200Mb?  Can I alter the size in the
> future, once I define a size for it?

Yes you have 200MB allocated for the entire database.

The transaction that would exceed the database space, hopefully, would be
rolled back.(I don't know from experience). In any case you would be in
trouble.

You can add additional data files by changing the configuration file and
restarting the database but you cannot remove or change the size of an
existing file.

> Also, if I had
>
> innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:200M; ibdata2:200M
>
> And my data exceeded 200M, would the rest of the data
> transfer over to data2?

The say they fill the tablespace from the bottom up. I have not read all
their docs yet but that could mean that the last named file is used first.
In any case all the space would be available.

> What is the best configuration, having multiple datafiles
> that are small in size or have one datafile which will be big.

That would depend on a lot of things.  For linux/unix multiple tablespace
files can be spread across different disks.  That might give a performace
improvement.  Often the composition of the database determines what makes
the most sense.  Hardware limitations can be a factor.  Experiment, trial
and error are often the only way to answer such a question.

I suggest you go to the following link.  It looks like interesting reading.
I am reading it as I have the time.

http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html#InnoDB_overview